The Food Cupboard at Jenkintown United Methodist Church started over 30 years ago with a single individual who saw a need in the community and decided to do something about it. Muriel Happich filled bags with groceries for the less fortunate with her own money and distributed them with her own hands. Her charitable heart grew a legacy that became one of the largest food cupboards in the area staffed by countless volunteers from all walks of life.
Since April 2013, we have operated as a full choice food cupboard. Patrons choose what they or their family want from a variety items at each of our stations; Dairy, Frozen foods, Misc. items, Proteins, Canned veggies, Canned fruit & juices, Carbohydrates, Frozen meats, Fresh breads, Fresh produce and Sweets.
is to provide compassionate services to low income residents of Montgomery County, PA including the distribution of food and clothing at no cost or obligation to our patrons. We preform these services to regular and new patrons alike, with n open heart and in a truly charitable, respectful and non-judgmental atmosphere. We welcome all regardless of age, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation political beliefs or marital status.
- 90-100 Families visit our cupboard every week
- Approximately 350 people are fed every week
- An average of 17,000 pounds of food are distributed every month
- As of August, just this year, with the help of our partners we have prevented over 200,000 pounds of food from becoming waste and put it into the hands of those who most need it.
- Montgomery County has a food insecurity rate of 11%, 14% for children
Ever wonder where the food we distribute comes from? While we purchase food at a discount from Philabundance and local grocery stores, much of our food is from organizations hosting food drives and local businesses that donate both fresh and non-perishable items. Click on Our Partners page for a complete list.